scent
Wildflowers and honey
supporting
Undecided
home
Fae Forest
writer
Supernova

The Cottage that Cian and Willow had prepared for the expecting mother had been much more than she expected to have in the final days of her pregnancy. Clover was so accustomed to what nature provided now a days that it was quite the adjustment. She would spend most of her day outside anyway, lounging out front where the suns rays warmed the earth. The brightness of Spring always seemed to put her in a positive mood, even on those more difficult days where she was less mobile.

Laying out across a patch of grass out front, she was contemplating a nap when footsteps drew her attention. She blinked and then squinted through the sunlight to see her eldest son approaching. Clover greeted him from afar with a lazy smile before it faded from her face and she regarded him a bit more seriously. "Still no word about Daisy? I'd keep helping you, but..."

She glanced at her incredibly swollen middle and let out a sigh. “I'm a bit...weighted down at the moment..." The mother shifted her position and then looked Summit over. “You're looking good. You're taking care of yourself?" She probed a bit, knowing that Summit felt a huge responsibility for caring for all of the other children in their family. He deserved to have time to himself as well.

THREAD MUSE

art and code by Yahtzee-Penguiduck
03-29-2024, 10:18 AM

Adventurer

from Saora
size
Extra Large
scent
Fir needles and earth
supporting
Undecided
home
Fae Forest
threadlog
encounters
writer
Rilo
At long last, spring was here. The sky was baby blue, perfectly clear and beautiful. Though there was still a chill in the air, the unbearable clutches of winter were now behind them. The sun was shining on the lands of Saora, warming the small cottage that the Eithne clan called home temporarily. Summit was never far away these days, except to hunt. He had successfully caught a plump rabbit to share with his family, whoever he could find. His parents were expecting again, for a third time, and while some of his siblings were still grappling with this impending change, Summit was just as excited as he had been last year. Sure, things were different… But that didn’t mean they weren’t allowed to be happy. He knew deep down, Daisy would have wanted that. She would have been the sweetest, most gentle big sister…

Unconsciously, his pace had slowed until he wasn’t moving at all, thoughts of Daisy threatening to tarnish his excitement. With a sigh, he continued, rabbit clutched in his jaws. He found his mother resting alone in the soft grass, where he would join her with a bright smile. He set the rabbit down before her, if she was hungry, as Clover addressed him: "Still no word about Daisy?: Ah… It was as if she had read his mind. Summit shook his head, sadness shadowing his features. He had never stopped searching for his sister, and if he spent the rest of his life looking, then so be it.

”Journey and I traveled all the way to Tir Na Nog, which I wouldn’t recommend in winter,” he offered, trying to lighten the mood just a little, though recollections of his visit to the mountains with his littermate left a bitter taste in his mouth. He wondered if their mother knew that Journey was planning on leaving them behind for an education, but he didn’t dare ask, for fear of upsetting Clover the way it had upset Summit himself.

“I'm a bit...weighted down at the moment..." Now that was an understatement, and Summit pressed his lips together before he accidentally said something rude about her undeniably different proportions. He had noticed that somehow, his mothe was even more rotund than she had been one year ago. She complimented him, inquiring if he was taking care of himself. ”Yeah. Yeah, I’m good,” he offered vaguely. ”Are you feeling well today? I found a rock formation that you would love, it's not too far. If you're up to it, I could show you," he offered with a characteristic grin.

@Clover
coding: gutz
03-29-2024, 02:44 PM

Fae Forest Guardian

from Saora
size
Medium
scent
Wildflowers and honey
supporting
Undecided
home
Fae Forest
writer
Supernova

Clover's tail patted the ground lightly, simply happy to be in the presence of any one of her children. When he shared that there was nothing found as far as the search for Daisy went, she nodded silently. Her expression did change them, brows furrowing with concern at the mention of his travels to Tir Na Nog with Journey. “Summit...I..." She paused, trying to formulate her thoughts into words. “I...appreciate you, both of you, for everything you do for our family...all your effort, but..." She idly placed a paw over the rabbit, glancing between him and the fresh-kill anxiously. “Please, know that you don't need to carry that...that guilt, or blame, or what have you...I suppose what I want to say is...my wish for you is to find time for yourself too...you deserve it...and I am so very proud of the man you've become." She felt herself becoming teary eyed before she lowered her nose to nudge the rabbit in his direction, gesturing that they share the meal if he was hungry.

She tore off a decent portion of meat and ate it ravenously even though she'd been well-fed. Her unborn pups never stopped hungering, it seemed. While she ate, Summit shared with her that he'd found a rock formation that was not too terribly far. Brightness was added to her current glow and she quickly finished off her portion of the meal. “Oh, yes! I'd love ta see it!" Clover grunted as she put her best effort forward to stand herself up before looking to Summit. “I might need a lift up..." She chuckled softly, peering up at her son apologetically.

@Summit
03-29-2024, 07:06 PM

Adventurer

from Saora
size
Extra Large
scent
Fir needles and earth
supporting
Undecided
home
Fae Forest
threadlog
encounters
writer
Rilo
He did not interject as his mother spoke. Summit could feel his pulse quicken with emotion, equal parts alarm and devastation invading his consciousness; he had not anticipated a serious conversation, and Summit felt unprepared. A year had passed since she was born, and Daisy had still been a toddler when she vanished. His head ducked as Clover continued, avoiding her pink sights until she had finished. ”Mama…” A heavy sigh escaped. ”i was the one who suggested we play. I could have — I could have watched her instead of playing.” His deep voice quavered as he finally sight the gentle eyes of his mother. ”This time, I won’t let anyone down. These pups will be safe forever.” It wasn’t a promise anyone could truly keep, but Summit was determined to prove himself. He wouldn’t fail his family again. "I want to stay with you and Papa and -- and everyone else." He was all grown, but he still loved his family first.

He lowered his form to support Clover to rise to her paws; the height difference between mother and son was obvious. He had brown taller than her by his first birthday, but now… The contrast was stark. Summit had managed to grow even taller than his sire. His mother’s swollen belly was almost amusingly large. It was still a little weird to think that there were actual pups right inside there, just waiting to be born, even though he knew how it all worked thanks to getting the talk when he was younger. ”Okay, are you good? Not gonna fall over or anything, right?” He grinned; it was still in his nature to try to make others smile, even when he didn't feel like doing so himself.

@Clover
03-30-2024, 04:59 AM
Reply #4 Star 

Fae Forest Guardian

from Saora
size
Medium
scent
Wildflowers and honey
supporting
Undecided
home
Fae Forest
writer
Supernova

“Summit..." Clover gazed upon him with such sympathy and she stretched her neck upward to touch noses with him. “Playing is hardly a crime, sweet boy...mind you, I joined in on the game. I could've been the one watching as I should have been, but I didn't..." She withdrew and sighed, a sad smile playing on her lips. “And I know your father also thinks of his own could'ves, should've, and would'ves...you're not alone in those feelings, son... That was something she especially wanted him to know. It took her a long time to see it as they had all friends in their own ways, but it was the truth. None of them was truly alone in their sorrow.

She frowned when he seemed to be now fixated on preventing his new siblings from the same fate. “You could never let any of us down...and, Summit, these pups...they are not your responsibility, you have to know that. Your role is a brother not a father...they will be so lucky to have you as part of their lives either way." She emphasized, trying to catch his gaze to get that point across. The pups began to write almost restlessly and she grimaced slightly, turning to press her nose into her belly, feeling them kick outward. “Here, feel...they're strong..." She reclined and invited him to place a paw on her belly.

Her eldest expressed his want to stay near the family and she studied his expression, taking in a deep breath. “I would love nothing more...than for you to follow where your heart takes you." She stated simply, knowing that staying around his family might be what he wanted to make sure that they were happy...but, Clover knew that just like her younger self, all of her pups would eventually spread their wings and fly and she would always be there when they returned.

Clover leaned up against the support of her son's larger frame as he helped to lift her. Once she was upright on her swollen feet she shook the earth from her sandstone fur and raised a brow at Summit. “Fall over? At this point, I might simply roll away." She joked at him right back, nudging his shoulder gently. “Now, take me to this amazing rock."

@Summit
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2024, 06:51 AM by Clover.)
03-30-2024, 06:51 AM

Adventurer

from Saora
size
Extra Large
scent
Fir needles and earth
supporting
Undecided
home
Fae Forest
threadlog
encounters
writer
Rilo
Clover’s voice was comforting and affectionate, just as he always remembered. Had she ever raised her voice once in her entire lifetime? Summit had never heard her yell, nor seen her angry. His mother was his role model in so many ways. She had always understood the unusual gentleness of her eldest, a trait so often lacking in other brutes. It wasn’t that Cian didn’t try, he had always been supportive, but it was just… different when it came to mother and son. The young wolf was silent as his mind pieced through her words, sentiments that Summit wanted to believe, truly. But there was still that nagging voice lingering in the back of his brain, and he was uncertain that it could ever be banished. Not until Daisy was found. Still, there was comfort in knowing that their sadness was shared, and despite the tears in his eyes, Summit nodded in acknowledgement.

“You could never let any of us down…” Clover asserted: these were not Summit’s offspring, not his responsibility to raise. Again, he would nod, uttering a soft, ”Yeah. And – and I’ll keep being the best big brother I can be.” The hint of a smile appeared, finally, as an enormous paw reached out tentatively to feel the active pups in his mother’s belly, earning a swift kick. ”Very strong! And you know what? Maybe they’ll all be boys this time. You never know until you meet ‘em.” And he couldn’t wait to meet them. He wouldn’t have to much longer.

“I would love nothing more...than for you to follow where your heart takes you." Summit nodded; for once, he wasn’t sure quite what to say. He wanted to trust his heart, but he didn’t know what to look for. His parents had met when they were still just kids, and stayed together since then. Summit had always hoped the same would happen to him, a romantic at heart, but… It simply hadn’t played out that way. And maybe it never would. But there was contentment to be found outside of that connection, and his first love remained his thirst for adventure and exploration. Even if Journey was giving up on that life, Summit couldn’t keep his paws still. ”You and Papa always taught me to trust my heart. And I’ll do my best, Mama, I promise.”

As she struggled to her paws, Summit had second thoughts about leading his mother too far away from the cabin, just in case she grew too exhausted to find her way back. He couldn’t begin to fathom how uncomfortable it was, just from the look of her grimacing features, and he cringed to see her discomfort. "We can, uh, walk really slow, okay?"

@Clover
03-30-2024, 07:34 AM

Fae Forest Guardian

from Saora
size
Medium
scent
Wildflowers and honey
supporting
Undecided
home
Fae Forest
writer
Supernova

Deep down, Clover knew that she could never change what burdened his heart so...but, if he had any sort of doubt that she loved him or thought that she might have blamed him herself, that was what she wanted to banish. The mother was still doing her best to forgive herself for a thing that no one seemed to have prevented...they all would have to do their own healing still. They were still stronger together, even if they struggled individually.

He focused then on the pups to be and the way they practically wrestled with one another in her womb. Summit mentioned the possibility of boys and Clover looked to him with a twinkle in those soft pink orbs. She hadn't let anyone else, aside from Cian, know about the dreams she had. “I think we might have a surprise or two with this litter." She gave him a knowing smile and a wink.

Her son made her a promise to follow his heart and she knew he would. If anything, she wanted him to blossom instead of lifting the roots up of all the other sprouts while he simply wilted. As his mother, Clover wouldn't allow it. The happiness of her children meant absolutely everything to her, no matter where in the world it took them. “You're so grown up. When did that happen?" She chuckled, feeling tears form at the corners of her eyes from the emotion of their conversation.

Clover made to follow her son where he led her and while there was some discomfort, she kept a decent pace with him. Her maw parted in a gasp, feigning offense as he suggested going a snail's pace. “Summit! I'm pregnant, not elderly!" She laughed, bumping her hip into his playfully. She was in high spirits today, feeling that something grand would be happening. Perhaps it awaited them at their destination.

@Summit
03-30-2024, 07:49 AM

Adventurer

from Saora
size
Extra Large
scent
Fir needles and earth
supporting
Undecided
home
Fae Forest
threadlog
encounters
writer
Rilo
”I think we might have a surprise or two this litter.” Clover’s vague comment earned a curious look, brows knitting together and head tilting. ”What? What sort of surprise?” Of course, now his mind was racing with possibilities… Would it be a surprise to have all girls again? All boys would definitely be a surprise – really, any boys would be a surprise, at this rate.

His mother observed, “You're so grown up. When did that happen?" Summit offered a shrug. He hadn’t noticed himself getting taller until he towered over some of his family members. It seemed so gradual, and still so sudden. ”It doesn’t feel that way sometimes. Not until I look at Journey and Fern, and see how they look different. Then I realize, I’m different, too. It feels weird,” he acknowledged as he began to lead the way.

“Summit! I'm pregnant, not elderly!" Her laugh inspired a chuckle of his own, relieved that the mood had managed to shift away from the sadness that remained ever-looming. But that didn’t mean it had to consume every second of their waking life. "If you say so, Ma.” Despite her insistence, Summit took small steps, guiding them to a worn path that snaked through sandy ground that led to the ocean. Thankfully, it wasn’t as far as the shore. Summit was quiet as he walked, existing in the comfortable silence that would soon vanish with the yelps and chirps of newborns. Then again, Summit didn't mind that one bit.

”It’s just over here,” he offered as he took a few steps off of the trail. Many, many years ago, the same spot had been beneath the waves. A rock jutted up from the sandy ground, worn by the millenia by the tumult of the sea until all that remained was a jagged spire of ancient rock that stood taller than Summit. It was a multitude of colors: white and beige, coral-hued and splashed with unexpected indigo. ”Isn’t it pretty? I’d never seen anything like it. It seems… old.” A mischievous grin appeared before he joked: ”Like you.” Of course, he only said it because it wasn’t true. His mother and father had tumbled into parenthood rather unexpectedly, and at a young age.

@Clover
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2024, 08:53 AM by Summit.)
03-30-2024, 08:24 AM

Fae Forest Guardian

from Saora
size
Medium
scent
Wildflowers and honey
supporting
Undecided
home
Fae Forest
writer
Supernova

“If you say so, Ma."

That earned him a look, Clover raising her brows at him daring him to make another comment. After that, they traveled in a comfortable silence as they soon reached the Sandy shore of the oceanside. The give of the sand was actually a lovely massage for her tender paw pads and she sighed with relief as they made their way down the beach. The soothing sounds of the ocean was also a lovely soundtrack to accompany this moment with her son where she simply enjoyed his presence.

When he finally showed her to the massive formation of rock and coral, she stared up at in awe of its magnificence. “Oh, goodness, it is quite the wonder, isn't it? What an amazing find, Summit!" She praised, flashing a grin in his direction before she turned back to the nature made structure of multicolored earth. “It seems...old..." Clover nodded idly in agreement as her pink eyes studied the way it reached towards the sky.

“...like you."

Summits cheeky little comment had her quickly whip her head around in his direction, mouth dropping open as he dared poke at her age again. “I beg your pardon, Mister!" Clover laughed and then turned to nip him in rump playfully before leaping away from any retaliation. She lowered herself into a play bow before standing up again and racing away from him down the shore, laughing as she initiated a game of chase that she knew she would lose. This was the most fun she'd had in ages!

Then it hit. That horrible shredding, cramping pain of her lower abdomen against her spine. In the middle of running she staggered and nearly fell with a yelp of surprise. “Aaghh! Summit! Summit, help! Ahhh, ow, ow, ow!!" Clover sucked in a breath as she fought the urge to flop herself down onto the sand. “We...we need to get back...ahh, back to the...the cottage...this is it! They're coming!" She stammered as she began to pant heavily, frantically looking for the path that they had taken to get to the beach in the first place.

@Summit
03-30-2024, 09:54 AM

Adventurer

from Saora
size
Extra Large
scent
Fir needles and earth
supporting
Undecided
home
Fae Forest
threadlog
encounters
writer
Rilo
”I beg your pardon, Mister!” Her feigned outrage earned a hearty laugh from the young male, who attempted to slip out of reach from Clover. ”You and Papa also taught us to be honest,” he would jest. She was as spry on her paws as she could manage with the extra weight of new life growing inside of her womb. Summit was impressed that she was able to do that much, given that she looked fit to burst. He lowered himself into a playful stance with a grin – but his expression changed quickly when his mother began to cry out in pain.

“We...we need to get back...ahh, back to the...the cottage...this is it! They're coming!" The panic was instantaneous. Mismatched sights grew wide with alarm as he watched her beginning to writhe in agony. ”Right now?!” He held his breath as his mind raced. Quick. Summit had to remember what to do. His chin tipped backward to call for help – his father was undoubtedly near, and Auntie Willow was definitely close by in preparation for this moment. A long, sharp howl overpowered the noise of the crashing ocean waves.

Summit prepared to rush back, only to realize that his mother was now incapable of doing the same. ”We’ll never make it like this,” he worried, looking between Clover and the path awaiting their return. ”Mama, I have to carry you.” With no time to waste, Summit would lower his hulking form until his belly touched the sandy ground, awkwardly pulling the laboring femme onto his back. ”Hold on!”

The behemoth maneuvered through the tall grass like a wolf possessed, weaving between trees and rocks. Only when the wooden cabin came into view again did Summit allow himself a relieved sigh. Willow was already there, waiting on the porch with a bright smile, with her yearling daughter Rowan by her side. Summit stopped before the dwelling’s old oak door as his father’s auburn form came rushing closer.

@Clover
03-30-2024, 10:46 AM