Jacobite
home
Aberdeen
writer
Supernova

RUBY RIVER
GLOWING IN
THE SUN

It was a great relief to have been able to welcome Grigori back with the other Jacobite soldiers. Although he'd been anxious to the very bone, Sundstol had to keep a level head around the other memories of his found family. He was certain the other giant of a man would find his way back, low and behold, he certainly.

Using what little he knew of tending to wounds that Cyrill had taught him, he patched up his comrade as best he could. Then as his son's would surround him, he withdrew to allow the boys to enjoy their time with their only surviving father. After all they'd been through thus far, Sund felt it important for the family to be together, cherishing what moments they could steal from time.

He busied himself, tanning a few of hides from his latest successful hunts. He had started to prep them before, but now he had time to focus on finishing them up. There were three of them pinned to a rack, one for each of Grigori's boys and one for Willow's daughter. Gifts for them until they were old enough to claim trophies of their own kills.

The mountain man was grateful to have something to occupy his time that would otherwise be spent worrying over Cyrill, wondering why he had yet to hear back from him. It seemed unlike him to ignore correspondences, but there was no way of knowing what and become of the smaller man. Each time he began to let his mind drift to thoughts of his missing mate, his eyes would begin to water and he'd have to shift his thoughts elsewhere. Willow and Grigori needed him to continue to be strong for them and the family he had become a part of.

@Grigori

Wash me over,
Show me where you run...

Roll me deeper in your tide,
Take my spirit, take my mind,
Take me over to that other side...

code claerie ~ art by ashon
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2024, 04:11 AM by Sundstol.)
10-09-2023, 10:31 PM

Soldier

from Saora
size
Large
scent
Mint, smoke
supporting
Undecided
home
Inverness
threadlog
encounters
writer
Lyk

Initially the violence of the battle, as well as the rage he had experienced during it, have made the cowboy feel rather unwell. The feeling slipped to the back of his mind rather easily, however, giving way to the infectious cheer of victory and relief of seeing his sons and friends again. Understandably, the boys clamored for his attention, leaving no chance to rest his battle-weary bones. Hours passed on playing, stories and some light reading practice, and when they finally fell asleep, so did Grigori, nodding off into a peaceful nap...

When he woke, it was still the same day - not even night, but early evening at worst. Going back to sleep was a tempting, an opportunity to catch up on all the rest he had missed... but he had more than just himself to look after. And so, stealthily as to not wake his sons up, the blonde brute left his den.

The message he had received from Valerian wasn't just comforting - it reminded him that it was important to check up on wolves that are important in one's life. Sundstol wasn't difficult to find, his new cabin only a short walk away - more distanced from the city than his den was, but never far. The huntsman was still working when he approached, busy with some hides... after everything he's done, he more than deserved a break, too. "Sund." he said simply, walking up to the larger man's side.

Grigori took a second to cast a curious glance at the pelts, before leaning closer to press his forehead against the russet male's shoulder. There were no words that could express his gratitude.. and no words tactful enough to approach the elephant in the room. Though for most of their time Grigori had noticed little beyond his own grief and the bottom of a glass, he was aware of all of Sundstol's help.. and that throughout it all, Cyrill was nowhere to be seen. He didn't know the how or why.. or even if Sundstol knew. He only knew that it wasn't for him to decide when - and if - to speak of it.

He hoped that his company would be at least of some comfort instead, even in silence.

"Ye should get some rest too, y'know." he muttered after a while, lifting his head to look up to his friend's face. "How 'bout a drink? Like we'd planned.. before everythin'." It felt like so long ago now.. an eternity. A completely different world. They couldn't go back to how things used to be back then. But they still had reasons to carry on, regardless of everything that's happened.

„*”
10-10-2023, 04:37 PM

Woodsman/Hunter

from Saora
size
Extra Large
scent
Cedar and Sage
supporting
Jacobite
home
Aberdeen
writer
Supernova

RUBY RIVER
GLOWING IN
THE SUN

“Sund.”

In the middle of his own thoughts while he worked, Sundstol visibly jumped at the sound of his own name breaking into his complicated reverie. His stopped what he was doing and blinked his eyes several times to regain a hold of his emotions. He gave a sniff and was about to turn to face Grigori when he felt a gentle pressure at his shoulder. He flinched at first, surprised by the contact and then relaxed.

There was a moment of silence that seemed to stretch on eternally. It was somehow a comfortable silence and Sund did his best to keep it together as the blonde brute withdrew his touch and looked up at him. He let the suggestion of rest fall off of his shoulders like summer rain and instead gestured to the pelts that were hanging up in front of them. “Do ya think they'll like 'em?" He used his nose to point out each one. “That ones for Perihelion, this is for Aphelion, and that one's Rowan's. They're, uh, not quite done yet, but..."

Sundstol trailed off as he scrutinized his own handiwork. He had half mind to continue his efforts until his good friend mentioned the drink they were to have once upon a time. “Damn...we really haven't had a chance ta get that drink yet, have we?" He blinked, suddenly realizing just how much time had passed since he first offered. “Could take ya by that place I talked about before, unless you've got other options."

@Grigori

Wash me over,
Show me where you run...

10-11-2023, 04:39 AM

Soldier

from Saora
size
Large
scent
Mint, smoke
supporting
Undecided
home
Inverness
threadlog
encounters
writer
Lyk

Some wolves tend to devote every minute of their time for the sake of others, all while avoiding burdening anyone with their own struggles. Back when it was just him and Aryth, Grigori would likely have had acted that way.. if it weren't for the scholar's determined efforts to truly know him. Maybe it was the same for Sundstol and Cyrill. The cowboy didn't want to intrude on that... but at the very least, he could stay close. Ready and waiting for anything that his friend might need of him.

"'Course they will." Glancing to the hides again, he answered without a moment of hesitation. Even if the work was completely amateurish, which it wasn't, he was certain that the kids would appreciate a gift from someone who was such a constant support in their lives. Sundstol was basically almost a second parent for them.. his sons and Willow's daughter alike. "They already love the ones ye made for the... for the wedding." Grigori held back the urge to sigh. He hadn't planned on bringing the past up to this extent... but there was no point in avoiding talking about it, was there? "They're very comfortable."

He smiled faintly at the other's realization of just how much time has passed since they've made those plans... since they've spent time together for no reason beyond enjoying each other's company, really. "Yeah..." He hoped they'll find time for it more regularly, starting tonight. Then Sundstol brought up The Howling Moon, and Grigori realized he couldn't possibly feign being unfamiliar with the place. "Oh. I, uh.. I decided to check it out on my own a couple weeks ago, cause I recalled ye mentioned it. It was... not what I expected." He chuckled nervously, feeling a blush in his cheeks as he thought of that memorable visit. He still was curious what exactly Sundstol liked about the place... well, maybe he'll find out tonight. "It is nice, though. So yeah, sure. Let's go there." He wanted to visit Valerian, anyway.. might as well kill two birds with one stone.

„*”
10-11-2023, 07:07 AM

Woodsman/Hunter

from Saora
size
Extra Large
scent
Cedar and Sage
supporting
Jacobite
home
Aberdeen
writer
Supernova

RUBY RIVER
GLOWING IN
THE SUN

There was a light swish in his tail when Grigori agreed that the pups would enjoy what he'd made for them. The wagging and smile ceased at the mention of the hide made for the wedding. He cast his forest green eyes downward and his ears flattened sorrowfully. Sundstol glanced over at his friend hesitantly before remarking, “Well...'least maybe you'll 'ave that one to herself after I give 'em these..." A corner of his mouth curled upward for a moment in an attempted smile.

He nodded slowly as they seemed to both be in agreement about the way the time had passed. A strange, fickle thing, it was. A sigh was exhaled through his nostrils as an image of Cyrill passed through his mind. Had he realized how fleeting each moment they shared had been...he might have done more. As much as he tried not focus on the regret that coiled in his belly like a black snake, it often spread it's venom throughout any of the fond memories he held onto.

Sund started to gather himself up, preparing to depart when he froze in his tracks as Grigori shared that he'd made a visit to the Howling Moon on his own already. Emerald orbs grew wide beneath thick brows and his mouth fell agape as he struggled to find his tongue, clearly flustered. Of course the venue wouldn't have been what he'd expected! It was a brothel for Gods' sakes! And he'd intentionally left that bit out of his recommendation with a plan to reveal that when they made the visit together...

“I...ehm, I-I...meant to, uh, tell you...bout that but...uhm..." Sundstol averted his gaze, his mouth running dry as he realized what his friend might've assumed. He swallowed and decided that sharing his truth was the best and only option whether his friend believed him or not. “I truly hadn't a clue what it was either when I stepped in for a drink when I'd gone...I'm terribly sorry, Grigori, I should've said somethin'...and, uh, it really isn't all that bad...Danya, the owner, was a good enough fella to sorta wave those women away..."

He shuffled massive paws nervously and cleared his throat before finding the courage to peer up at the golden brute. “I heard they've since hired a man there and were seekin' more...that may or may not have been my doin'...Danya said he was gonna look into it and, heh...apparently he kept his word...but, uh, that I haven't been back since that one time...this was, uhm, well before Cyrill..." He bit the inside of his cheek as the anxiety prickled beneath his fur.

It was all washed away, however, when Grigori actually seemed keen on returning to the tavern. Sundstol's brows shot upward, surprise taking over his expression as he again fumbled over his words. “Uh, alrighty, yeh! Sure, uhm, let's...let's go then!" His nose twitched awkwardly and he ducked his head as he moved past Grigori to lead the way out of his home and back out into the world he couldn't seem to close himself off from.

@Grigori

Wash me over,
Show me where you run...

10-12-2023, 04:55 AM

Soldier

from Saora
size
Large
scent
Mint, smoke
supporting
Undecided
home
Inverness
threadlog
encounters
writer
Lyk

The subject of the wedding - of Aryth - was like stepping on broken glass. And... Grigori didn't want it to be like that any longer. Even if it was painful, the wolf that his husband had been deserved to be spoken of fondly. There was so much more to his life than just the tragedy of his death. "Maybe.. but it's aight if they still want it, too. I'm sure they remember sleepin' next to Aryth on it.. just like I do." He met Sundstol's tentative smile with one of his own. Past the initial unease... it was kind of nice to reminisce.

The cowboy rolled his shoulders, preparing himself for the trip to the city, when his friend started to stutter and stammer. He tilted his head in confusion, unsure what was the cause of all the stress; while it's true that Sund being a brothel patron didn't compute in any way and stoked his curiosity a fair amount, it was far more natural for him to think there was a reasonable explanation than it was to assume anything untoward about the huntsman. When the explanation resumed with enough coherency for him to catch on, Grigori just laughed it away. "Naw, it's fine! Frankly, it sounds like our first moments there were exactly the same, so it's only fair." He lifted a paw to pat the larger man on the shoulder as he chuckled. Indeed, he now knew well what it was like to feel nervous about the possibility of seductive women approaching him... and it was so effortless to imagine Sundstol in the same scenario that it wouldn't ever cross his mind to doubt the story.

But when the other male looked at him and mentioned the brothel hiring a man, it was his turn to glance off to the side. Right.. it wasn't something he could feign ignorance on, when Val will likely be eager to greet them when they get there. "I, uh.. I'm aware." The blonde brute swallowed heavily, desperately trying to come up with an elegant way to clarify. "He's, um.. a nice guy, we had a few drinks, talked, and... well... I was feelin' lonely, so..." He put a paw over the bridge of his muzzle, half expecting it'd burn like when touching a freshly made roast. It had been a good night, but perhaps naively he never thought he'd be mentioning it to anyone but Val. Finally, after a sigh, he decided to skip ahead, if only to spare himself contemplating what Sundstol might think about this. "He seemed to be, too. Lonely, I mean. We decided to be friends.. he even sent me a supportive message before the battle." At that, the cowboy smiled again. It was clear that he appreciated the gesture a lot.

And when the bigger wolf decided to set them on their way, he could only nod in relief and quickly follow. If the conversation ever turns back to this subject, he'd rather have a drink or two on hand to make it easier. And rather than risk awkward silence as they walked, he decided to change the topic. To the first thing that came to mind... perhaps haphazardly. "Yer lookin' good lately- I mean, in good shape.. that is to say, uh.. been huntin' a lot, have ye?" That.. could have gone better.

„*”
10-12-2023, 09:48 AM

Woodsman/Hunter

from Saora
size
Extra Large
scent
Cedar and Sage
supporting
Jacobite
home
Aberdeen
writer
Supernova

RUBY RIVER
GLOWING IN
THE SUN

Had he said the right thing? Anxiety creeped up the back of his neck until he saw the way Grigori smiled with a wistful look in his eyes as he spoke of Aryth. “Well, ehm..." He gestured to the pelts that hung. “The, uh, more the merrier, I s'pose." It seemed that talking about Aryth made was helpful in a way, so he shouldered his own worries about what to say and what not to say. And knowing that his friends had enjoyed their wedding gift and even to this day it was cherished...it was all rather heartwarming.

When his apology for withholding information about the Howling Moon was met with laughter, he couldn't help but start chuckling sheepishly alongside Grigori as well. A paw met his shoulder and he felt he could relax, fortunate to know someone who might've understood the discomfort of entering the tavern for the first time unawares. Sundstol was surprised when a look of recognition crossed Grigori's face at the mention of the newly hired male of the establishment. His gaze grew curious as he listened to the soldier briefly explain his interaction with the man at the brothel.

“...and...well...I was feelin' lonely, so..."

Sundstol blinked and drew himself up as he realized what Grigori meant, not needing him to fill in the blanks much further. “O-oh!" Was all he could seem to say in response, feeling his cheeks turn scarlet beneath his golden coat. He watched as his friend put a paw over his muzzle with a bit of his own embarrassment. He cleared his throat and offered a nervous smile, wagging his tail to try to put the other brute at ease. “Welp, ‘least he sounds like a decent fella. Sendin' ya a message before battle 'n everythin', huh? Guess he's takin' the friend thing seriously then. Good on you for enjoyin' somethin' for yaself. Ya most certainly deserve that."

None of it bothered him. And he truly was glad for Grigori to make another friend, no matter the circumstances. As they continued at their set pace, his friend was the one to finally break the silence, though it wasn't in a way he had imagined. Sund faltered, nearly tripping over a wayward rock in their path, but he recovered and looked to Grigori with a bashful smile. “Oh, uh, thanks..
I, uh, well...I mean...I've been huntin', buildin' onto a new homestead, 'n chasin' kids around."

He took a moment to allow his eyes to wander over Grigori, his gaze lingering a bit too long and then he faced forward again. “Yer lookin' well too...healin' up nicely and, um, they must really be, uh, training ya out there. I thought you had muscle before, but..." Sund trailed off, an image of what his friend might've done with the man from the brothel flashing through his mind momentarily. Thankfully, the tavern was coming into view and he glanced over at Grigori. “S'just up ahead, but, uh...guess ya already knew that then."

@Grigori

Wash me over,
Show me where you run...

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2024, 04:12 AM by Sundstol.)
10-15-2023, 02:13 PM

Soldier

from Saora
size
Large
scent
Mint, smoke
supporting
Undecided
home
Inverness
threadlog
encounters
writer
Lyk

It was a substantial relief that the huntsman didn't judge his misadventure harshly. He knew how kind Sundstol was, of course, so it wasn't exactly a surprise... but some part of him expected others to be judgmental, a consequence of the environment he grew up in. If he never had this experience and their roles were reserved, Grigori wasn't sure it if he'd manage to be so understanding, at least initially. Life in Rionnach has humbled him again and again, showing different perspectives on matters he'd once thought to be black and white. After all, he was a traitor and rebel soldier these days... things that the man who had arrived in this country some years ago would have nothing but contempt for. But it wasn't his sense of justice that's changed, only his understanding of the world.

Though his attempt at bringing about a fresh conversation topic was embarrassingly awkward, Grigori could consider it a successful one after his friend's answer. It was all too easy to imagine Peri taking advantage of a moment of inattention to run off, then Aph getting grumpy over a game, story or whatever activity that was actually planned getting interrupted so that his brother could be chased down. And that's just his sons, Willow's daughter surely added her own brand of chaos as well. "I wish I could've been 'round for more of it." The other things, too. Helping a friend out could never be a bad way to pass time. But the war was more important for now.. He could only hope that he wasn't wrong in thinking that.

His thoughts were interrupted when the other returned the compliment. It might be common courtesy to do so, but the level of detail he committed to seemed to go beyond that kind of bare minimum.. "Oh, uhm.." The cowboy felt his cheeks burn again as he stared real hard at his moving paws. "Thanks, I do feel pretty well." The blonde brute felt so aware of his own body all of a sudden that he couldn't resist the impulsive need to roll his shoulders. "Lively and, uh.. limber." All the training keeping him in shape was one of his favorite things about army life. He could remember how nice the peaceful college patrols have been, even if a bit boring.. but he could also remember his neck getting stiff from that easy routine. And on that note, they've reached their destination. "Well.. let's go have a good time, then." he said with a smile. Was that an awkward thing to say before walking into a brothel? If so, he was fortunate enough not to realize it.

Stepping into the tavern, Grigori made a mental note to stop by earlier in the day next time. At this hour, the place was already full of wolves enjoying their drinks.. and the company of women working to get them in the mood. After a quick glance around he felt nervous enough to lean closer to Sundstol's side, before gesturing towards the bar with his muzzle and making a beeline for it, much like he had the first time he walked in here. Some things take more time to get used to, it would seem. "Howdy, uh.. Carmichael, was it?" He smiled at the barkeep in greeting.. then he recalled the things he spoke about with Valerian, and started to worry the two might have talked about it since then. Quickly deciding that he wasn't ready to find out, he stammered out his order. "Mint- I mean, somethin' with mint. Like.. whatever ye feel like makin'... please." He took a slow, resigned breath, before looking at Sundstol so he could get his order in as well. He couldn't find any hint of his small and silver-furred friend so far, maybe he was.. working. No matter. Once they have their drinks, he could just ask Carmichael.

„*”
10-19-2023, 02:45 PM

Woodsman/Hunter

from Saora
size
Extra Large
scent
Cedar and Sage
supporting
Jacobite
home
Aberdeen
writer
Supernova

RUBY RIVER
GLOWING IN
THE SUN

Despite the tinge of awkwardness, his compliments seemed to have been taken well. Hopefully a few drinks would loosen the two of them up, melt away the rest of their apprehensions, and give them a space to be free of their worries and cares at least for a little while. “Yeh, let's..." He agreed, mirroring his friends smile as they reached their destination and entered together.

Once over the threshold, it was as though they had stepped into another world entirely. Sundstol's eyes went wide, flickering around as he tried to locate the quickest route to the bar. There were several bodies crowding certain spaces, booming laughter of drunken men followed by the embellished titter of female giggling as they worked on their egos. Although most were occupied, he felt that a host of eyes had turned to clock the pair arriving as soon as they were within eyesight. Grigori must have noticed it as well, for he felt the blonde brute press closer to him almost instinctively.

Sundstol leaned into him as well and glanced over to find him gesturing at a path towards the bar. He followed closely, wanting to get out of the spotlight of the prowling employees of the brothel. He was still scanning the room as he seated himself, distracted until Grigori began to speak to the male behind the bar. He turned his head and blinked, wondering for a moment if perhaps this Carmichael fella was the one he'd had a romp with.

He felt heat creep into his cheeks and caught himself staring at the chiseled features of the bartender as he greeted Grigori. The man was rugged and handsome, a small smirk playing on his lips as the soldier ordered from him. “Whatever I feel like, hm? Alright then..." Carmichael spoke in a lower, more pointed tone than Sund expected and he glanced over at Grigori with a raised eyebrow.

It was then that he realized the other brute was hovering, waiting for his order and he straightened up. “I, uh, I'll take that, uhm, extra strong ale ya have." As the other man drifted away to start prepping their drinks, he turned to Grigori and exhaled a nervous breath of a laugh. “Gods, Grigori...ya really snagged a looker, that one." He chuckled and lifted a paw to give him a firm pat on the shoulder.

@Grigori

Wash me over,
Show me where you run...

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2024, 04:12 AM by Sundstol.)
10-22-2023, 05:47 PM
#9 Big Grin 

Entertainer At Howling Moon Brothel

from Saora
size
Small
scent
Spiced Rum and Ginger
supporting
Jacobite
home
Aberdeen
writer
Supernova

S

taring up at the ceiling was getting rather old. This bed rest thing was too damn difficult...and Carmichael refused to bring him alcohol no matter how much he begged. How was he to manage? There had to be something he could do! Even with a slight concussion, a dislocated shoulder, and a broken ribs...he wasn't useless...at least not completely. Val grumbled and tried to turn himself over in bed, but the pain shot up his spine and restricted his breathing. Grimacing, his aching body relented to the position he was in before. Frustration beckoned a groaning sigh from his throat and he closed his eyes, praying that he'd drift off and sleep all of this off.

His ears flicked to attention with a knock at his door and he turned hai head to peer at it curiously. “I'm not exactly taking visitors..." He reminded whoever was on the other side. A head poked in and he raised his brows in an unimpressed fashion at Nell who so rudely disregarded his objection to her entry. “You sure about that, Ponyboy?" Valerian glared at her while she insisted on tarnishing his stage name. “I saw Blondie out there just now. Figured I'd come and tell ya, since you've been hard pressed to shut up about 'im."

“Grigori?" The bard's eyes went wide and he shot up in bed. “Ah, shit! Ow!" He didn't even care how much it hurt at this point, he tumbled off of his furs and collapsed onto the floor before pulling himself up. “Damn, you need some-" Val shoved his way past Nell, colliding with the wall on the opposite side of the hallway. “Help...?" Nell finished her sentence, but the man was stumbling away from her already and likely didn't even hear her. She shrugged and followed after him in case she had to carry him back to his room.

Valerian tripped over his own feet, but caught himself on some furniture, ocean eyes moving about the main area that was incredibly crowded. “Dammit..." He cursed, unable to see the bar beyond the huddled groups of wolves much taller than him. He took a deep breath and then started to pardon himself, trying avoid being bumped into or stepped on. When he finally squeezed his way through, caught sight of the muscular brute seated at the bar and talking with Carmichael. There was another fellow next to him who was just as brawny as he was and they seemed to be friendly with one another. Despite the pain, Val managed a smirk, realizing that his Golden Lion might have indeed brought a friend over to play.

After spending a moment admiring the two of them, Val drew himself up and started to make his way over. He tried not to limp too much, though it was exceedingly difficult. He likely looked a wreck anyway, but he'd certainly put on his best act to not draw too much attention to his injuries. When Grigori had his back turned he took the seat next to him. He raised a paw then to order a drink. “I'll have whatever he's having!" He announced, gesturing to the soldier at his side before turning and flashing a dashing debonair smile at him. “Well, hello there, handsome! Fancy running into you here!"

@Grigori

art and code by Yahtzee-Penguiduck
10-23-2023, 07:34 AM
Thread Closed