scent
Berries
supporting
Royalist
home
Aberdeen
writer
Pixel

The barracks had become more than a mere wistful memory the more he visited. Former Captain Argent dared to feel hope knowing that the future of the army was in the paws of capable soldiers such as Kvothe and Merrin. He hoped his presence might inspire confidence in the lady knight, knowing she had a supportive face among the wolves gathered in the training grounds. The first few months as a recruit could be tough, but he knew it was nothing she could not handle.

The summer sun bore down on him as he walked the familiar trail of the well worn path leading to the barracks. Soldiers in their prime sparred on the battle grounds and he heard the familiar grunts and growls of training. If he closed his eyes he could imagine himself running the obstacle courses or facing off against one of his fellow soldiers. A twinge tugged at his heart, but he forced it away with a gruff sigh and glanced around for earthen hues of a certain new soldier. Lady Merrin! he greeted her, ears twitching when he realised had spoken a little louder than he’d intended. A few soldiers looked over, but otherwise he hadn’t disturbed anyone. Just the knight I wanted to see, Argent added, a smile coming unbidden to his features. It softened his rough features, making him seem unusually approachable.

Art by Ashon
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2022, 05:21 PM by Argent.)
01-20-2022, 03:22 PM

Elder

from Saora
size
Medium
scent
Lilac, vanilla, and warm cardamom
supporting
Undecided
home
Aberdeen
writer
Supernova

She heard her name, ears perking upward at the sound of such a pleasantly familiar voice. Even before she turned around, she knew exactly who she was to see. Before she did so, she dipped her head to a couple of the other respective soldiers she had been conversing with. "Gentlemen..." Merrin excused herself and when she finally did turn on her heel, her lilac orbs sparkled and shined. Pure joy brightened her features as she laid eyes on the Honorable Captain and her friend.

"Oh, Argent! It's so lovely to see you!" She approached quickly, tail swishing back and forth behind her as she gently bumped heads with the silvered male. Merrin then stood back and bit her lip as she attempted to hold back her absolute excitement, as she stood among the barracks of the soldiers, clearly having enlisted successfully. "How have you been faring? Well, I hope?"

table by Yahtzee-Penguiduck [da], click for attributions
01-20-2022, 06:11 PM

Retired Soldier

from Saora
size
Large
scent
Berries
supporting
Royalist
home
Aberdeen
writer
Pixel

The joy that shone through familiar lilac eyes upon hearing his voice was pleasantly surprising. He had hoped that his surliness hadn’t left a bad impression and it seemed it hadn’t. If possible it made the unlikely smile that touched his lips became more prominent as he swayed his tail in greeting. A tail that didn’t want to obey his body’s commands and still itself once the motion was completed. It grew steady once more although it took some effort to concentrate on not allowing it to wag than it did to let it move freely. He lowered his head so she could bump her head against his, a slight warmth filling his cheeks as he did.

Good. I’ve been good, he answered and for once it was the honest truth. He was coping much better with his retirement and his injury. The hunt had done wonders for his confidence even if he had taken a bit of a beating taking down the sheep. Its woolly pelt made for a fine rug making the old cellar he lived in appear almost like a home. If only the rats weren’t a problem… he would invite his friend over and show off his new trophy.

He knew without asking that she had successfully enlisted and a dozen questions zipped through his mind, but he held them back. Army life suits you he noted, silver gaze glowing with approval. Are they treating you well? he asked finally, knowing how rough and over eager some soldiers could be during training. There was no doubt in his mind that Merrin could handle herself, but she also had an ex-captain on her side if she needed him.

Art by Ashon
01-21-2022, 08:47 AM

Elder

from Saora
size
Medium
scent
supporting
Undecided
home
Aberdeen
writer
Supernova

Merrin's smile persisted and a look of relief washed over her to find that her friend seemed well despite the harsh Summer season that had caused ruin across the land. "Thank heavens! I'm beyond glad to hear that." She breathed a sigh, still attempting to keep her enthusiasm under control. Despite her best efforts, it radiated from her in waves of positive energy.

Her brows furrowed upward, not realizing how his compliment had struck her until she paired it with the look of pride that graced his features. Emotions welled up in her quickly and she had to swallow a lump in her throat, blinking as her eyes had begun to shimmer with the gathering of tears. She'd never once heard a word of accolade from her family in the life she'd lived before and so receiving such praise in a simple statement as this was deeply moving for her.

"You think so?" Merrin finally asked, trying her best to control the wavering tone of her voice. She cleared her throat then and cast her gaze down at her feet shyly. When he asked about her treatment there, she peered up at him and nodded. "I have...still so much to learn and account for and so I am grateful they're as patient as they can be."

Turning her head, she peered into other areas of the barracks seeing soldiers dispersed throughout, though they left enough room within the shaded parts to move about. "Here, walk with me!" Merrin sidled up to his right and pressed her flank against his closely as she led him in a slow stride. "So tell me, what have you been up to? How have you been handling the heat? Have you come to assist us?" She chuckled to herself and shook her head. "Forgive me...too many questions all at once!"

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2022, 11:09 AM by Merrin.)
01-21-2022, 11:09 AM

Retired Soldier

from Saora
size
Large
scent
Berries
supporting
Royalist
home
Aberdeen
writer
Pixel

At first he thought he might have said the wrong thing when his words had an effect on her which he didn’t anticipate. His brow wrinkled with concern and he stepped towards her, uncertain of what to say. ”You think so?” she asked and he blinked, surprised by the fragility of her question. Argent dipped his big shaggy head in a fierce nod. I would be proud to be your captain, he assured her and it was the truth. He wasn’t just being nice. Merrin had a quality that he wished more soldiers held. Compassion. She truly cared about the people of Rionnach.

I’m glad, he sighed, relieved that she was settling in well. Maybe we could train together sometime, Argent suggested, hoping that he would be an asset to her instead of a hindrance. His body wasn’t as robust as it used to be and his injured ribs slowed him down a lot. Walk with me, she insisted and he followed along, sucking in a breath when a soft presence leaned into his side. It didn’t elicit the familiar flustered anxiety he was used to when her fur brushed against his. He felt the blood rush to his features, but it filled him with a pleasant glow of warmth. Merrin was not a stranger invading his space. She was someone whose touch was welcome.

A flurry of questions earned a gruff laugh from the former captain and he shook his head. No… I like it when you talk, he admitted, tone low and bashful. He liked that she cared so much. He had forgotten how much it had meant to him. I came to see you actually, but if there is something I can do to help I’d be happy to, he answered. The heatwave had been tough on them all, but he wasn’t one to shy away from his duty.

Art by Ashon
01-21-2022, 03:07 PM

Elder

from Saora
size
Medium
scent
supporting
Undecided
home
Aberdeen
writer
Supernova

Merrin's gaze softened at the notion of perhaps in another life Argent would have surely been her captain. She could tell it was a genuine statement and she dipped her head in gratitude. Imagining the man before her when he was on active duty passing his knowledge and skill along to the other soldiers was a mental image that inspired her. If only she had made her way to Rionnach sooner.

He must have read her thoughts and she did her best to hide the pleasant surprise at his offer. "Oh! I would be absolutely delighted if you could!" Merrin piped up cheerfully. Just because he was a veteran didn't mean she couldn't learn from him. How could she have been so silly to have even assumed otherwise?

When she initiated their easy-going excursion, she did her best to keep in step with Argent, even though her paws wanted to dance ahead. She allowed that energy to release itself in the quick wagging of her tail and the occasional show of teeth in her usual radiant smile as they moved about. That and her relentless questions, which she reeled in to try not to overwhelm the poor gentleman.

She peered over at him when he shook his head and her ears perked to catch his lowered tone as he admitted he enjoyed listening to her rambling. Merrin mirrored his bashful smile and turned away, but nodded to let him know she understood. She still gave him a chance to answer at least one of her promptings. Soft lavender orbs found silvered ones again and her features lit up once more.

"You are a Saint, Argent! Well, would you be interested in accompanying myself to attend to the citizens of Rionna? We've been fortunate to have provided relief to so many here at the capital." She announced proudly, before her brows then furrowed in contemplation. "Once they're stabilized, I plan to venture outward to the other heat camps and temporary dens. It seems the worst of it is affecting those that live beyond the Mainlands."

01-22-2022, 08:56 AM

Retired Soldier

from Saora
size
Large
scent
Berries
supporting
Royalist
home
Aberdeen
writer
Pixel

Argent was pleased that his words seemed to settle any doubts she had about her place in the army. He wouldn’t have suggested that she enlist if he didn’t think she was suitable. A smile touched downturned lips at her enthusiasm towards training with him. Not everyone considered an injured veteran to be anything other than a hindrance and not too long ago he’d thought the same of himself. Kvothe and Merrin were making it difficult to wallow in self-pity. They made him want to do better, to a man worthy of their regard.

His shy confession was met with a nod and he was relieved that his awkward remark hadn’t made her look at him strangely. Words didn’t come as easily to him as they did others, but the sentiment was all that mattered. Merrin could talk as much as she liked and he was happy to listen. There was a pause and then he realised she was expecting him to answer her earlier question. Ah well. I joined a hunt organised by the king. I haven’t been able to hunt since…the war because of my injuries, but I did. We did and the people ate well, he informed her, voice growing softer when mentioning the war and his condition. There was pride in his gaze as he spoke, that he had been able to do his part for the people of Rionnach.

Her praise was met with bashful grumbles and head shakes, but his ears pricked when she mentioned that she had been working hard to provide relief. If he was a saint then Merrin was an angel. Rionnach is lucky to have you. Lead the way, Lady Merrin, he rumbled in approval, pride brightening his silver gaze. A good plan. I can help with the lowlands. Direct people to shelters, carry the sick, run errands, anything I can do, he promised, letting her know that her mission was one he would be happy to help her with.

Art by Ashon
01-22-2022, 11:00 AM

Elder

from Saora
size
Medium
scent
supporting
Undecided
home
Aberdeen
writer
Supernova

"Why, that's fantastic news, Argent! That is a grand achievement to be sure. Now we will most definitely have to find time to celebrate our successes!" She applauded him warmly, seeing in his eyes and his adjustment of posture just how much it truly meant to him to be able to do something of that caliber.

Merrin gave pause, her brows knitting suddenly as she took a couple of steps back to look him over. "And your injury?" Her soft purple eyes flickered up to his momentarily, concern filling them as she cast her gaze along his body again.

"I've just realized I don't recall if I ever discovered what you had been visiting your doctor before..." Merrin suddenly became self-conscious of het words and lowered her head slightly. "What I mean to say is...I just...if I did not know you, I would've never guessed you had an injury..." She struggled to formulate her thoughts into words, becoming flustered when she was normally quite eloquent. No doubt she'd probably offended him by now. "You look well. That's where I was going with this, I suppose. I'm sorry...if I crossed a line I shouldn't have."

She was grateful for the transition from one conversation to another and too advantage of it while she recovered from her awkward moment. Merrin was able to quickly and more easily focus on tasks and duties ahead of her. She moved to earn beneath the barracks until they broke off and she moved ahead of him a little ways, glancing over her shoulder to see if he indeed followed.

"I wished to make my rounds among the various camps here and ensure they have all the need. That's when I will be able to determine how sustainable their condition is before moving onto other cities that require my assistance." She spoke as though she were still somewhat in thought about this before she turned towards Argent curiously
"Does that seem like a good plan?"

01-22-2022, 08:09 PM

Retired Soldier

from Saora
size
Large
scent
Berries
supporting
Royalist
home
Aberdeen
writer
Pixel

He stood a little taller upon hearing approval in her voice. The suggestion of celebrating later earned a smile and Argent idly pondered places he would like to show her. His favourite place was on the top of his list. The mirror lake. It was the most beautiful place in the lowlands and it held many fond memories for him. I'd like that, he answered, the smile growing wider. Grinning like a fool, he thought, but it didn't wipe the grin from his face.

The subject changed to his injury and he tensed instinctively. What would she think of him if she knew how broken he was? Pride made him want to hold his tongue, keep the illusion going that he was fit and capable. He shook off the resistance, knowing in his heart that he could trust Merrin not to hurt him. Broken ribs. They didn't set properly, he answered, shifting self consciously under her scrutiny.

A worried frown wrinkled his features when she began to look more like a deer facing down a wolf than herself. It's okay. I trust you, Argent assured her, squashing down the apprehension of sharing revealing his weakness. He leaned over and gently touched his nose to her cheek to let her know there was no harm done.

She regained her confidence when speaking about her plans for the day and he nodded along enthusiastically, content to follow her lead. It's a good plan. Tell me where you need me and I'll follow your lead, he answered, lifting a forepaw to his forehead in a respectful salute.

Art by Ashon
01-23-2022, 06:44 AM

Elder

from Saora
size
Medium
scent
supporting
Undecided
home
Aberdeen
writer
Supernova

Argent's smile was infectious, Merrin wondered why he didn't do it more often. She mirrored his grin and nodded fervently. "Excellent! Then I give you full reign to decide how we celebrate!" He seemed to enjoy being given tasks, she was certain he'd be more than happy to oblige.

Or at least...he might have been if she hadn't attempted to pry at his personal matters. When she noticed him tense at the mention of the injury, she shied away. Anxiety crawled beneath her skin, realizing she'd been careless in the way she addressed her friend. He'd once been a Captain, after all. She should've broached the subject with a bit more finesse and respect than she had.

The clouding of worry parted momentarily when Argent explained that he suffered from broken ribs that had not healed properly. Her ears folded back, glancing at him with apologetic sympathy, suddenly very nervous to open her mouth lest another horrid statement escape her.

"It's okay. I trust you."

His reaction was unexpected, even moreso was his gesture as he leaned over and pressed his nose to her cheek. Still unused to gentler touches, she recoiled in a way that turned her head towards Argent, her muzzle bumping into his. Merrin froze, her eyes locking with his as she felt the wave of heat rise in her face.

What was likely a brief instance felt like an eternity searching the galaxies of his starlit eyes. Merrin felt safe there, but it was far from appropriate. She finally broke away and cleared her throat, avoiding his gaze until she was able to recover.

At least he seemed to approve of her strategy for relief efforts. She chuckled at Argent's salute, "Alright then, let's be off!" Merrin once again became a bright, smiling face, even if the prior interaction continued to replay over and over in her mind. She made her way briskly to the exit of the barracks, not before reporting her intentions to the other ranks, of course.

Once they were out in the open, she squinted against the rays of light and hear from above then looked over her shoulder at Argent. "If you feel you're becoming overheated, please do tell me so and I'll be sure to do the same. We have to look out for each other if we're to help anyone else." She reminded him before leading him into the town of Rionna.

@Argent

01-23-2022, 10:19 AM
Thread Closed